Halitosis, otherwise known as bad breath, can take a toll on your social life and self-confidence. While bad breath might be the result of an underlying medical or digestive issue, a medication, or smoking, it is often due to oral health issues
Halitosis, otherwise known as bad breath, can take a toll on your social life and self-confidence. While bad breath might be the result of an underlying medical or digestive issue, a medication, or smoking, it is often due to oral health issues such as periodontal disease, dry mouth, or an infection. Bad breath can also be caused by something that you eat or drink.
At the office of Tropical Dental Care, we care about the oral health of all our patients and offer these tips to help keep your breath smelling fresh -- and you feeling confident!
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss your teeth at least twice each day. Brushing after mealtimes will remove the food particles that can taint your breath. Rinse your mouth with water or a mouthwash to remove any lingering debris.
- Stay Hydrated: Halitosis is a common symptom of dry mouth. When your mouth is dry, it doesn’t have enough saliva to wash away food particles and bacteria. Correcting dry mouth can be as simple as staying hydrated.
- Avoid Food and Drink Triggers: Certain foods and drinks can make your breath smell bad, such as garlic, coffee, onions, and alcohol. The substances that impact your breath can enter your bloodstream and travel to your lungs, waiting for you to breathe out and spread their odors.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is not only hazardous to your health, but it’s also bad for your breath. Foul-smelling smoke particles linger in the mouth, throat, and lungs long after you stub out a cigarette, which creates an unappealing stale aroma.
- See Your Dentist Regularly: Bad breath can also be a symptom of poor oral health. That’s why regular checkups are so important. Your dentist will thoroughly examine your mouth and diagnose any problems in your mouth that could easily turn into major ones if left untreated.
The state-of-the-art office of Tropical Dental Care consistently offers the highest quality of skilled and compassionate care. For more information on our office and the many services that we provide, give us a call today.
By Rick Friedrichs, DDS and Associates